LIFE - SkinnyMint Teatox

by - February 24, 2016

Detox teas have become quite popular lately, but do they actually work? I just finished a 28 days of SkinnyMint's 28 Day Teatox ($69.90) and I have to say, I'm not ready to board the detox tea train.
SkinnyMint's Teatox consists of 28 day teas and 14 night teas. The morning boost teas are to be had every morning before or during breakfast while the night cleanse teas are to be had every other night after your last meal. 

The morning boost tea contains: green tea, yerba mate, nettle leaves, dandelion, guarana and hints of grapefruit, strawberry and pineapple. 
These ingredients claim to help boost energy, improve immunity, burn calories, boost metabolism, curb appetite, cleanse, detoxify, improve digestion, increase physical endurance, improve alertness, stimulate digestion and is a natural diuretic and antioxidant. 

The night cleanse tea contains: ginger root, orange leaves, lemongrass, senna leaves, licorice root, and hints of peppermint, hawthorn berry and psylium husk. 
These ingredients claim to help detoxify, anti-bloat, improve digestion, promote good sleep, anti-microbal, anti-bacterial, enhance complexion, reduce appetite, relieve cramps and constipation and is a natural laxative. 

So... what exactly does all that mean? 
A lot of these ingredients sound promising in helping you lose weight, but this is NOT a diet tea and should not be used as such. This seems a bit misleading because SkinnyMint likes to advertise users losing weight while on the 28 day teatox, but it's in conjunction with healthy eating and regular exercise. 
With the morning boost tea, I did not find much of a difference in my energy or appetite levels - they were pretty normal. I'm also a frequent caffeine drinker so that might be why. I did really like the taste of the morning boost tea and found it didn't get bitter from over steeping like green teas usually do. If it wasn't so expensive, I would definitely continue drinking the morning boost tea just because I enjoyed the taste.

The night cleanse tea was a hit or miss. In the beginning, I didn't quite realize what the point of this tea was until my friend, who was doing the teatox with me, told me that it was essentially a laxative. Besides the weird spicy taste of the tea, it didn't do much for me... until the third week where my body started responding to it. I've never taken a laxative before, so this was quite an experience. It's not immediate since you drink it at night, but it definitely kicks in the next day. I would kind of dread drinking this tea both because of the taste and the aftermath, and would plan out my days accordingly - no way in heck was I drinking this if I had a full day of school and work coming tomorrow.

Now, would I recommend the teatox? No. 
While on this teatox, I did find myself drinking a lot of tea by constantly refilling my tumbler with hot water once I was out and there would always be a little flavour left behind, which helped me with my daily water intake because I can barely finish a 500ml bottle a day. The night cleanse definitely works too, but personally I like to have my bowels work on their own...
BUT
SkinnyMint's 28 Day Teatox is not a great way to detox your body and although advertised like one, it is not a diet tea. It may seem like it at first because you are filling yourself up with a lot of liquids to curb hunger and in turn lose a lot of water weight from constantly drinking and disposing of it, but it's not a weight loss miracle. Eating healthy and drinking plenty of fluids would be the most helpful n detoxing your body.

Have you tried any detox teas? What was your experience like?

Let's be friends!

You May Also Like

0 comments